Waving Rocksey off last Friday I started my week alone with the best intentions. I would get up earlier, work out properly, eat healthily, visit my parents, weed the garden, keep on top of the housework etc etc and then be on tip top form for when I flew out the following weekend ready for my much deserved break in the Spanish sunshine.
Well you know what they say about best laid plans…… With the country in the grips of a Heatwave -this is a loose term , in actuality it means 5 continuous days of blistering heat ( the papers proudly proclaim that this has been the hottest and longest spell of 32C heat since ( would you believe it) 1976)- it is England btw – we don’t have much in the way of Summer here and definitely not over 5 consecutive days! It was too hot to work out, too hot to do any productive or meaningful work as the office basically became a place to position yourself in front of a fan and hope that someone would bring in ice lollies to relived the relentless heat, whilst evenings were spent sitting in the garden with one or two glasses of cold white wine with the cat whiling away the hours talking to Rocksey and listening to what the three musketeers were getting up to (I have allowed him to guest blog on here – you probably can tell the difference in the style of writing and the content – I don’t think I could find enough interesting things to write about Marsh and his degenerative downward spiral into what seems to be alcoholism). So apart from actually visiting my parents for a couple of hours on Thursday, the remainder of my ‘to do’ list has not been ticked off.
So what on earth will I write about in this blog? Well spending 7 days ( and nights) alone with no one to worry about can either drive you mad so you fill up the time ( hence the ‘to do’ list) or you slow right down and take advantage of this ‘me’ time. So what did I actually do?
1. Friday evening, Missy and The Baron arrive, we get a taxi into town with the intention to paint the town red – we go for a Curry and a beer, the bars are rammed, we get a taxi home and sit in the garden until 1am. .
2. Three hours on Saturday morning I spend peering through the viewfinder of my camera taking macro photographs of dragon flies as they performed their mating rituals above the pond ( when Rocksey is here he can’t sit still, my photography bores him to tears ) with him out of the way I could. – and did- take about 300 photos and did not get bored!;
3. Saturday afternoon was spent ( mostly) at the outdoor shopping mall where Missy amassed a rather huge amount of Sunglasses from Primark for less than £3 a pair. From a distance you would not be able to tell the difference between Primarni specials and the latest from Prada ( although I doubt your eyes would thank you if you were going to actually wear them as eye protection from the sun!)
4. Saturday night was spent curled up on the sofa with said children, pizza ( this was a homemade vegan offering though) and a box of Malteasers watching an omnibus of Love Island ( Rocksey would just NOT watch this programme, I tried to resist I really did but somehow……)
5. Sunday afternoon was spent lying on a hammock listening to the music of my Youth, marvelling at the beauty of the June garden and not worrying about the weeds poking up through the flagstones on the patio;
6. Mon-Thursday day time. – spent days at work drinking copious amounts of cold brew green tea and water ( healthy living. – tick) and ice lollies ( they were fruit flavoured – healthy living. – tick), girls in the office go mad for my new Valentino studded gladiator sandals , lunch time dash to Primarni and said girls in the office all wearing £8 copies evenings – as aforementioned, sat on the patio with cat and white wine until the house cooled down sufficiently to ( coughs) watch Love Island.
7. Friday AM – spent the morning frantically packing and re-packing teeny tiny suitcase listening to the rain hammering on the windows ( British summer over) and trying desperately to recall what to wear in 37C heat ( as little as possible and Factor 50 ), Mrs Rocksey arrives to take over Rocksey Towers whilst we are away and Suki chauffeurs me to the airport in her new Aston Martin. We discuss Love Island!
8. All the bits in between, catching up with Melody and Suki with long phone calls ( transatlantic for Melody as she was still in the US ) and ( clears throat) watching and discussing Love Island ( I am informed by the girls in the office that there is an App….An APP!!!! – resistance is futile – I’m on the App Store as we speak – Send a WhatsApp message to Missy to see if she is aware of this – she is, she has it and is browsing whilst we speak).
Now: got through customs at airport and spent leisurely hour in the Duty Free buying perfume, proper sunglasses ( sorry Missy, your best efforts to encourage me to wear 5 dollar sunglasses were never going to work), had make up done at the Smashbox counter ( pure bliss) and nails painted at the OPI bar (sunset strip – you minx!!) drank a Starbucks Cold Brew Vanilla Bean to use the WIFi to catch up on Instagram and now a large G&T before getting on the flight to be met by Rocksey (sans Marsh and SP) and 4 weeks of well more simple pleasures, getting up late, eating fresh fish, speaking Spanish, lounging by the pool, swimming in the sea etc etc….. the best thing though…..Love Island is being Sky +’d and the week I get back (when Rocksey is still away) I can binge watch without guilt……ahhhh….. simple pleasures!!! ( shhh don’t tell).